29 de gen. 2014

Writing samples

A speech
Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. It's a pleasure to be here with you today.
First, I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Pepe Grillo  and currently I’m studying Economics at the University of Bergen.
As you probably know, I am from Catalonia, an autonomous community in the north-east of Spain.

My purpose today is to tell you about the most important features of the Catalan culture and more specifically  about our official language; Catalan.
To begin with, I would like to say that most people in Catalonia speak Catalan, being as well the oficial language in all schools.  It’s also important to point out that Catalan coexists peacefully with Spanish. However, besides the Catalan Language, we have our own history, literature and traditions.

Now that you know a bit more about our language, let’s have a brief look at out traditions. We, Catalan people , are very proud of some traditions such as  the human castles, el pa amb tomàquet, la sardana and many others.

What I mean by this is that I live in a country which is fighting to be recognized worldwide as an independent ntate since it has its own language and distinctive traditions.

To conclude then, just  thank you for being here today , I hope you have enjoyed my talk and I look forward to seeing you some day visit our beautiful country that is Catalonia.
_______________________________________________________________

10, Carrer Sindicat
Terrelameu Lleuda
27th January 2014
Mr. Albert Sisó
IES Seròs Headmaster
Plaça escoles s/n

Dear Sir,
I am applying for the teaching position you advertised in Diari Segre. As you will notice from my enclosed resume, I have several years' experience as an English teacher and I recently earned my  degree from Lleida University. During my graduate work I was particularly interested in adult education and did my thesis research in this area.
During my years of teaching ESL part-time, I have developed some materials designed to teach English as a second language to adults. I don’t mind working under pressure and I feel I can manage very well with demotivated students.  I can work either independently or with a team.
At this time I am seeking a full-time teaching position. I am confident that my qualifications and experience will benefit your organization and would appreciate the opportunity to schedule an interview with you at your convenience. I may be reached at 555-5555. Enclosed is my current resume.
Thank you for your consideration. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Yous sincerely,
Samantha Fox

C­/ Sandro Rossell 11
    08004 Madrid
7th March 2014

English Now
53, Pembroke Street
London SW1 7TP

Dear Sir / Madam,
         I am writing in response to your advertisement in a student magazine. I am currently a student at a Spanish Secondary School and I am interested in doing a summer course.
         Your advertisement says that the college offers general and intensive courses. Could you send me information about general intermediate courses and how much they cost? I would also like to know about the self study facilities and the school social programme.
         If I decide to enroll on a course, I would prefer to stay with a family. I would grateful therefore if you could send me details of the type of accommodation available. I would also appreciate practical advice about living in London.
         Thanking you in advance for your help. I look forward to hearing from you.
Yours faithfully,
  Antonio Flags

 ______________________________________________________________

Aliexpress
354 Xangton
Hong Kong

Dear Sir / Madam
A few weeks ago I ordered a terra cotta vase through your mail order catalog, but when it arrived it was shattered into several small pieces. It appeared that the box had been crushed by something quite heavy. I hope you have another just like it, because I would still like to receive the vase.
I am returning the invoice that was in the box, and will return the broken pieces, if necessary, to receive a replacement. Otherwise, I will eagerly await the arrival of a new vase. If it can be delivered before Christmas, I will be most grateful.
I hope to hear from you very son
A disappointed client
____________________________________________________________
An invitation letter
The reason on these lines is because my school  is holding a fund-raising festival on Tuesday, September 20, at 6:00 p.m. to raise money for Women and Childen in Crisis.  We would be pleased to have you join us. As you may know, this organization  provides temporary shelter for women and children needing to escape from difficult home circumstances.
We would like you to know that Ms. Jane Doe, a leading authority in family therapy, has already confirmed her attendance Tickets are $100.00 per couple. I know you are interested in these issues and hope you will be able to join us. Please let us know by September 10 if you can come.
I look forward to hearing from you


Christiano